Thursday, July 2, 2009

The fall of Rawkus Records

I was just getting ready to start a new blog about how incredibly dope it was to be working with Rawkus Records from 1999-mid 2000's. Really, it would be hard to overstate how much I personally enjoyed those first few years, and how critically important it was for our company. Company Flow, Kweli, Mos Def, L Fudge .... every record that came out was groundbreaking, and every 12" sold more than 10,000 copies. We were turning DJ's away at the door to get their promo vinyl. I remember calling my business partner when the Black Star album came in; stunned by how amazing it was. I remember walking my single copy of the advance promo for "Definition" into college radio stations and DJ's would be drooling once they heard it ... and then I'd grab my record and leave. When The Cleaner (a collection of new, radio edit joints) came out, with the KRS, Zach de la Rocha and Last Emp track "C.I.A." I felt like the bartender at a good college bar. "Heeeeeeeey buddy, great to see you, c'mon up the station any time you want."

It was like Christmas once a month. Music, gear, banners, shows, Soundbombing .... there was a stretch there where they could do no wrong.

So, just as I'm getting ready to start this blog entry ... I check out the Rawkus website, oh my. The website is now a pop culture blog with personal ads and a "network news mash-up." Talk about putting the final nail in the coffin of what was absolutely the best indie label of its time, and destroying any shred of brand dignity.

"Whatever your interests are, the Rawkus Network has got you covered. From hoodies, to tees, or a Lil Wayne mp3, Rawkus.com can help you not only stay on the cutting edge of urban and pop culture, but can allow you to influence and shape it. Check it out and become a member today."

So sad .... how the mighty have fallen. Well, I still got love for you Rawkus, but its a nostalgic, remember the good ol' days kind of love. Peace to Danny Seltz.

No comments:

Post a Comment